Position Description: Forest Carbon Analyst
Location: Morgantown, W.V.
Employee Type: Full Time
FLSA Status: Exempt
Report To: Technical Director
Green Assets is currently in search of highly motivated individual to join our team in our Morgantown, WV office as a Forest Carbon Analyst. Founded in 2010, Green Assets is a leading forest carbon offset development firm. Green Assets provides informed, turn-key project development services to clientele, allowing for profitable conservation activities that help to maintain natural habitats and ecosystems. The Forest Carbon Analyst reports to the Technical Director and is a part of the Technical Division. The Forest Carbon Analyst’s work focuses on the areas of forest carbon project development and implementation of forestry activities, quantification & analysis, forest management activity monitoring, tracking, and data management, as well as verification support.
- Utilizes spreadsheets, databases, and other tools for forest carbon offset project development, monitoring, and verification;
- Computes volume, biomass, carbon stocking levels, and other attributes from forest inventory data;
- Participates in forest inventory design (including stratification/plot allocation and field inventory methodology/SOP development), implementation/data collection, and related biometrics (including growth and yield modeling);
- Performs dendrochronological analyses supporting growth and yield modeling and age class assessments;
- Aids in net Greenhouse Gas (GHG) emissions reductions quantification/modeling, financial analyses, and carbon accounting for client-held forest carbon offset projects;
- Provides effective Geographic Information System (GIS), Spatial Analyses, and Global Positioning System (GPS) support to team members;
- Performs remote sensing/aerial photography interpretation to assess detailed forest management and other land use information;
- Manages forest carbon project data, including harvest information from clients (mill tickets, spatial information, removal information, etc.);
- Supports other team members with projects, workflow process improvements, and other duties as assigned;
- Contributes to company’s organization goals through content development, office logistical support, etc.;
- Participates in the planning and execution of business development events
- Supports General Company Tasks, including, but not limited to
- Maintains compliance with company policies (timekeeping, expense reporting, etc.);
- Maintains effective communications with clients and colleagues;
- Conduct operations with a high level of professionalism;
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Forest Resources Management, Forestry, or associated field (analytical focus preferred);
- Strong knowledge and a minimum of two years’ experience with forest biometrics, statistics, growth and yield models (FVS and similar), and data management/processing;
- Demonstrated experience using spatial analysis technologies (i.e., ArcMap or other web-based GIS applications);
- Experience using GPS, and integrating field-acquired data into ArcMap for project documentation and processing;
- Desire and ability to rapidly develop expertise in forest carbon offset project protocols such as the Climate Action Reserve, American Carbon Registry (ACR), and California Air Resource Board (ARB);
- Effective document preparation, presentation, and communication skills are required;
- Experience with MS Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint is required;
- Detailed, organized, and thorough in completing work tasks;
- Desire and ability to work cohesively as part of a team of experts;
- Ability to travel within the U.S. (up to 25% of time);
- Demonstrated experience using GIS software and aerial imagery for forest stratification and plot assessments
- Experience with database management, programming, and application of growth and yield models
- Experience developing and implementing Forest Inventory SOP’s
- Experience working directly with landowners and understanding their perspectives
- Experience with forest carbon offset project protocols
- Current SAF Certified Forester/Candidate Certified Forester or state-registered forester licenses
- Sense of humor
Green Assets provides outstanding compensation and benefits to its employees/team members. The salary range for the Forest Carbon Analyst is commensurate with experience/education.
If you are seeking one of the most interesting, challenging, and rewarding forestry related positions available, please send a letter of interest, resume, writing sample, and three professional references to the contact form. Submissions must be received by April 15, 2022.
Green Assets is an Equal Opportunity Employer.